Haswell

Modding AW: A Statement & Caveats

In an unofficial agreement with the game staff, it is now permitted to publicly develop and use mods in the game. The understanding is that modding the game will be tolerated in an unofficial capacity.

The company however does NOT officially support the development and usage of mods at this time, and there is no official modding policy. This unofficial agreement is that as long as any mods that are developed and used are not malicious or harmful to the game, the game staff will not actively crack down on mods. In essence, they are willing to turn a blind eye and may even be supportive of mods.

As outlined in the ArmoredLabs policy towards official game staff, any of the game staff are welcomed to weigh in on the subject of mods. They still will not hold any authoritative power here in ArmoredLabs, although they may contact mod users or developers for inquiries and advice at their discretion. The ArmoredLabs staff has no influence over the game staff, mod users and mod developers in this matter, ArmoredLabs is merely a platform to facilitate communications.

That being said, ArmoredLabs is completely supportive of the development and usage of game mods, and we offer this section of the forum for the subject of mods. Users are permitted and encouraged to develop and publish mods here, and to discuss anything related to modding the game. The only limitation is that mods published here should not be malicious or harmful to the game, as per the the unofficial agreement.

All rights to mods published on ArmoredLabs belong to their respective developers by default. Mod developers may further specify which parties hold rights to their creations.

This venture is completely new to the game, so there are a lot of uncharted waters and uncertainties. I am confident however this is a positive development to the game, even as an unofficial one.

Good luck, and happy modding!

• Upvote 3

Spoiler

Thanks for the great guide, by the way. 

I just hope that down the end of this road, is not the same place that WoT ended up in. Ie about 2-3/15 per side using advantage-gaining cheat mods, in every match. 

For example, if can you mod the tanks' texture files, thereby enabling hitbox-skins? And if I've thought of it, I'll guarantee the cheats will have too... I hope this is not Pandora's box of shit

Edited by Lenticulas (see edit history)

"Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth."

Y'all are allowing MODS now? Oh Sheep Dip! I'm SOOOOOOO glad I don't play PvP! Because Those that DO play it ARE going to develop WarPak Mods or the equivalent as sure as the sun rises! Count on it!

10 minutes ago, SmegHedd117 said:

Y'all are allowing MODS now? Oh Sheep Dip! I'm SOOOOOOO glad I don't play PvP! Because Those that DO play it ARE going to develop WarPak Mods or the equivalent as sure as the sun rises! Count on it!

No I don't think this will happen. What I've seen we are pretty limited in what we can do. Either way I don't believe it has any effect on PVP at all. If people require weakspot skins let them do so. Usually it won't make them much better. What would be cancerous for sure is something like XVM but that's not possible to develop here in AW.

I mean this is not a new feature - theoretically you could do that since like forever in AW. I used it for example to extract the minimap-images of various maps for my videos and guides. 

Based on this I do not think you can develop extensive cheats like the WOT warpack stuff. Yes we've seen some people "cheating" in AW (YETI) but I'm still not sure if it was bugusing or effective cheating. But what I've seen there confirms that there was certainly something wrong. Even if you would develop such a cheat-mod you'd be violating the abovementioned unofficial agreement. In case my.games finds this out I'm pretty sure those people would get banned right away. 

Concerning WOT and WT being "moddable" I haven't seen much cheaters at all there. So I guess that's more of a rare phenomena.

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

On 4/23/2020 at 2:59 AM, Lenticulas said:

For example, if can you mod the tanks' texture files, thereby enabling hitbox-skins? And if I've thought of it, I'll guarantee the cheats will have too... I hope this is not Pandora's box of shit

Hitbox skins are something that promote skillful play IMO, particularly for inexperienced players who have yet to learn where the modules and weak spots are on each vehicle. More experienced players won't benefit much from hitbox skins because they would already have memorized overall module layouts and weak spot, but for inexperienced players there's no better way to learn than to practice it constantly.

Admittedly this will put hitbox skin users at an advantage over other inexperienced players, but this is an advantage that is easily nullified simply by experience and studying the armor viewer, the latter of which is something WoT doesn't offer.

46 minutes ago, SmegHedd117 said:

WoT is a lot more easily modded than AW, so it's unlikely that AW will see mods that will affect gameplay directly any time soon.

Spoiler

"Yes we've seen some people "cheating" in AW (YETI) but I'm still not sure if it was bugusing or effective cheating"

The best one was from who discovered the way to climb on the reactor map edge and driving on that invisible wall was able to float in the air and shot at the tanks below with an open line of fire and undetected.

Man that was genius, not cheating imho!

:snrk: