Sign in to follow this  
Haswell

The Food Thread

Pics, recipes, midnight munchies experiments, what have you. By popular demand in case Discord isn't enough.

egg-tarts.jpg

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

On 9/23/2020 at 7:28 PM, knutliott said:

This got me 2nd (I think?  Might have been 3rd) in the AW Grill Contest.

907799581_AWgrillcontestsmall.thumb.jpg.cca3710f2e75d5b0aac81881f5388ace.jpg

I have an old crock pot that I use sometimes because it's nice to throw it on before work and come home to a nice stew or chili.  Then I discovered an InstantPot and all that crock pot does now is collect dust.

"If you were not birthed with claws or fangs, store bought will do just fine."

17 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

I have an old crock pot that I use sometimes because it's nice to throw it on before work and come home to a nice stew or chili.  Then I discovered an InstantPot and all that crock pot does now is collect dust.

I prefer crock pot myself, I don't find instant pot to be that much more convenient compared to my crock pot (I usually have plenty of time before or between classes to throw stuff in it).

I find that there's something about knowing that your dinner has been slowly cooking for the past 4-6 hours that makes it taste better, ymmv.

Edit: obligatory recipe for making in a crock pot

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients

• 2 chicken breasts (I use boneless skinless to make things easy)
  • 1 can (796 mL) diced tomato
  • 1 jar (650 mL) salsa
  • 1 can (540 mL) kidney beans
  • 1 can (540 mL) black beans
  • 1 can (341 mL) corn
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup diced red pepper
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 1 finely chopped jalapeno
  • 5 tbsp (75 mL) tomato paste
  • 4 tbsp chili powder
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • (optional) cilantro

Directions

• Place chicken breasts at the bottom of the crock pot, add all other ingredients on top
  • Cook for 4-6 hours
  • Remove chicken breasts from pot, shred (a pair of forks work well for this)
  • Mix shredded chicken back into the pot, reheat as necessary
  • Serve

Serves 8 (or 4 if you're hungry), leftovers can be frozen

Edited by MK_Regular (see edit history)

7 hours ago, MK_Regular said:

I prefer crock pot myself, I don't find instant pot to be that much more convenient compared to my crock pot (I usually have plenty of time before or between classes to throw stuff in it).

I find that there's something about knowing that your dinner has been slowly cooking for the past 4-6 hours that makes it taste better, ymmv.

Don't get me wrong, there is a huge appeal to a crock pot because of that very thing you mentioned.  But when you're craving something like a pot roast or pulled pork/chicken and its something that you have to have that moment is where the InstantPot works miracles.  What I've seen is that it is on par with a crock pot as far as flavor goes.  There are things it can't do sometimes that a good 12 hour simmer in a crock pot does well.

The biggest issue I have is living alone so when I cook either I have to make something that lasts for a week or I do a small batch of something to last me a few days.

Today after work I'm getting about 3 pounds of chicken and some BBQ sauce to do pulled chicken in the InstantPot.  Cut it up into small quarter pound chunks and braze them in a cast iron with olive oil and garlic, then drop them in the pot for about 20 minutes with about a cup of sauce and a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water.   OR  the alternate is about a cup of chicken broth and you mix in the sauce afterwards in a container of your choosing.  Serve up on a nice sesame bun with some slaw.

"If you were not birthed with claws or fangs, store bought will do just fine."