Sign in to follow this  
Haswell

In Development: Special Operations Mission “Famine”

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/development-special-operations-mission-famine

In today’s article, we’d like to tell you more about the next Special Operation called “Famine”, which takes place on a heavily modified River Point map, changed to match the apocalyptic theme of the season.

carbomb

Click the image to open a larger version

The name of the mission comes from the main characters’ attempt to secure a food supply chain for their settlement but, as always, things won’t go as planned. The rest we’ll leave for you to discover, for now, let us focus on the map overhaul and the new mechanics available in this mission.

fam2

As you can see from the attached screenshots, we’ve modified the River Point map extensively and effectively turned it into a desert. Some of the major landmarks are still there, but we’ve put a lot of work into making the central area look like a post-apocalyptic raider settlement.

fam3

Other, smaller enemy bases litter the map, which brings us to the two main themes and mechanics of the Special Operation. The first is that you’ll be asked to operate a lot on your own. To complete the mission successfully, the best tactic will be to split the team into two groups, each going after its own objectives. That guarantees you’ll be able to complete everything on time – providing you don’t die in the process.

fam4

Secondly, the AI enemies will have a new vehicle at their disposal – car bombs. These do pretty much exactly what their name suggests; they drive to you and explode. Taking them out before they reach you will therefore be an absolute priority and you’ll have to pay a lot of attention to your surroundings. As is customary for the Special Operations mode, the mission will be accessible by completing the previous two missions.

carb1

We are, of course, hard at work on the final mission of the series as well as on not one, not three, but five new standard PvE missions that will appear in Update 0.36 (albeit not right away at launch). For now, we hope that you will enjoy this one mission and, as always:

Map looks interesting, maybe we would finally have a non-corridor map after so long. Splitting up objectives is definitely a good move for better gameplay.

Big emphasis on the last part, but with the current 2hr long rotations what are the chances of actually playing the new maps? Let alone play them enough times for informed opinions.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Haswell said:

five new standard PvE missions that will appear in Update 0.36

cool

3 hours ago, Haswell said:

Map looks interesting, maybe we would finally have a non-corridor map after so long. Splitting up objectives is definitely a good move for better gameplay.

Big emphasis on the last part, but with the current 2hr long rotations what are the chances of actually playing the new maps? Let alone play them enough times for informed opinions.

New maps might appear more frequently in the course of the rotation. I have seen some maps appear more frequently than others in the course of an evening. 

Divided objectives will be very interesting and refreshing, although it will make playing with randoms harder... (how many times have we seen Prometheus fail because nobody capped the generator?)  It will be better for platoons, even impromptu ones. Might be a motivating reason for more folks (like me) to sacrifice some ping and get comms.

QR

Plague, War, Famine... and Death?  I assume they're trying and failing to do the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse.  Unfortunately the 4 Horsemen are Conqueror, War, Famine, and Death.  Famine is sometimes inaccurately called Plague and/or Pestilence which I suspect is what causes the confusion.

Then I saw when the Lamb broke one of the seven seals, and I heard one of the four living creatures saying as with a voice of thunder, "Come." I looked, and behold, a white horse, and he who sat on it had a bow; and a crown was given to him, and he went out conquering and to conquer.

— Revelation 6:1–2 New American Standard Bible [7]

Another fun fact about the 4 Horsemen: Death rides a pale horse, right?  The greek word that is typically translated as "pale" in that description is also the root of the words "chlorophyll" and "chlorine".  I.e. the color should not be the commonly used light grey or off white, but rather a light green or yellowish green.  It is literally the color of death - the skin of a dead body as it starts to putrefy.  Death is also the only Horseman explicitly named.

21 hours ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

New maps might appear more frequently in the course of the rotation. I have seen some maps appear more frequently than others in the course of an evening. ...

Nope. Any given map can appear only once in a rotation.

At least till now... :skepiseal2k: