Mortinner

MBT Recommended skills crew and retrofits

Hi all,

I've equipped in all my MBTs vehicles next

Retrofits

• Improved gun breech v2 (+13% Rate of fire)
  • Barrel linning (+13% Rate of fire and -5% Max spread)
  • Ballistic Computer lv2 (+10% Aim speed)

Tier X retrofit slot: 

• AI Targeting (+5% Aim speed and -5% Max spread) or Improved drive (+10% Aim speed and +5% turret traverse)

Commander

Philipp Holzklau

• Skills:
  • unknown.png?width=772&height=677

Crew

Driver:

• Smooth drive (Accuracy improved 10% while moving)
  • Off road driving (Acceleration off-road terrain increased 20%)

Gunner

• Sharpshooter (-5% Max spread)
  • Quick draw (+10% aimming speed)

Loader

• Sharpshooter (-5% Max spread)
  • Rapid fire (+2.5% Rate of fire)

I hope it will help the new players.

Please feel free to correct me, so let me know any improvement and I'll update the post to have the best information for all.

All the best!

Ps: commander skills source http://hype-en.blogspot.com/#portfolio

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2020 at 6:00 PM, Mortinner said:

Commander

Philipp Holzklau

• Skills:
  • unknown.png?width=772&height=677

Nice build, personally i would do only a replacement: the first penalty from injured gunner (near the main commander's skill) with Module damage(on the top of rate of fire).

I prefer to increase the chance to track/disable gun of enemies instead of a positive (and not permanent) buff.

Edited by Italian_Style (see edit history)

I have on most of my mbts the v2 binoculars retro. I find it very useful in PVE, but also in GLOPS and random battle. 

This is specially useful if a commander like Douglas is used as he also increases your spotting range, only the fact that you farm more spots and spotting damage more then enough compensate the lack of other benefits like faster aim time, that any way is my priority when choosing the crew skills, or hull and turret traverse speed.

And with the tanks that don't have binoculars i often find myself in situations where i am shot by enemies that i can not see, with retro and commander that let me spot better it happens way less. Douglas, at least the way i build him, gives me also more tank hp, and also more resilience in some crucial componente like tracks, gun and turret ring and a better rate of fire, i play with him as i am still grinding him, but i am impressed about how good is on mbts. 

Also Sabrina is very interesting with adtu using green ammo and with high alpha ap mbts, a lot of ammo rack and engine fires, while with mbts like T14 with fast reload but not so high alpha seems to don't work as well.

@Mortinner do you confirm that rate of fire increase from barrel lining and gun breach retros stack? I have still to unlock the barrel retro, but a battalion mate told me that they don't stack. 

Any way I think that there are many ways to build mbts, it depends on player's style and also on the modes we play, fast repairing speed can be useful in PvE, less in Random battle, where you probably want to use the x3 repair kit, as broken tracks or gun there can cost you the life. Also for some tanks there are situational choices, for the Merkavas a retro that reduces the fire chance is very important and for ADTU a crew specialization for breaking components, if you use Sabrina and green ammo, is a choice that pay well.

I post here a couple of screenshots of the tier 10 Leopard, in both i have the binoculars retrofit, only the commander changes.

The red arrows show how Douglas improves hit points, rate of fire and view range.

Then a screenshot of the K1A1 with Douglas and both the view retrofits, there the view range increase is really noticeable, it can spot all the other mbts of the same tier way before they spot him and also for enemy tanks with good camo is not so easy to shot at it without being spotted. Even a tank with 50% camo can be spotted before firing if is less then 300m far when the K1A1 is not moving, while against a T10 2AX with a commander without view bonus and without view retro probably is safe if 50m closer.

Other commanders can be better for more brawling oriented styles, and the player's style and the tank characteristics are very important in choosing the right commander, but to be able at spotting can be very rewarding both tactically and as spots and spotting damage give xp and credits.

mbt1.thumb.jpg.774598b4524ce5a168cc7abe583a0b2a.jpg

mbt2.jpg

mbt3.jpg

so it begs the question if your 2 primary commanders are at the Lt level (Philip & Freda) is there much to benefit to switching to a essentially stock commander like Douglas or to just leave things alone and work every up across the board.  assuming they don't re work commanders again before my slow ass gets everybody up in rank.  I have played other commanders and haven't noticed much of a difference but that could just be me.

For the commanders it depends. I often play with commanders that are underleveled jus because I want to grind them, but if you want the better results surely a well developed one is better, the problem is that as soon as you reach the lt rank the commander xp of the mission/battle is completely wasted.

Every commander has an unique role and perks, so the better possible commander for a tank depends on the tank, but also on your play style. Ie Sabrina is not the best commander for most of my MBTs, but if i use some MBT with PISH/HESH ammo like the ADTU she is the one as with her module damage boost and that ammo you can start fires and ammo rack like crazy if you know where to aim.

About your 2 lt imo Philip is somehow useful in PvE for his faster repairing speed, you recover faster from being tracked, or having the turret ring or gun disabled, there are better commanders, but is a viable choice for well armored tanks, and even better for those that suffer from track and turret ring/gun problems. Freja... I don't know. Someone tells that she is a good arty commander, I have optimized her as MBT/LT commander, but I almost don't use her any more. I suggest to push on the Sabrina grind as she is very versatile, she has camo to be used with squishy spotters, specially if you don't have Erin that is a Premium one, but the module damage is also very useful for every other class, TDs like the T10 wilk perform very well with her and even some MBTs, she is possibly the best not Premium commander imo. If you have Douglas from the last battle path i find him very good with MBTs, more spotting range, hp and improved dpm. Sanna can be developed both for starting easily fires, as I did, and to boost his view range making him a deadly TD commander. I don't have Cortez (assured maximum damage) and Ophelia, so I can not speak about them, but as I see a lot of people using them I assume that they are very good.

If you push Sabrina and Erin (if you have her) to lt you are in good shape as Erin and Sabrina can cover your not heavy armored tanks and for those you can choose Sagrina or Philip depending if you want to boost the component damage or your own tank repairing speed. Freja, depending on the skills you have chosen, can be still useful for some tank that benefit from those skills.

so for those of us who didn't get Douglas during one of the BP runs, is he available ?   I don't see him in my list of people.   and while we are on the subject how many commanders can one have with their highest at the 1Lt/2Lt level.  between all the changes since I first started in 12  I still don't have a fully upgraded commander let alone 2 .  that is an exceptionally LONG grind for a less than average player (as far as exp earned) goes.

23 hours ago, Baron_Georg said:

so for those of us who didn't get Douglas during one of the BP runs, is he available ?   I don't see him in my list of people.   and while we are on the subject how many commanders can one have with their highest at the 1Lt/2Lt level.  between all the changes since I first started in 12  I still don't have a fully upgraded commander let alone 2 .  that is an exceptionally LONG grind for a less than average player (as far as exp earned) goes.

Douglas is available from the Tier 10 M48 GAU-8 BRRRRT! of death.  (Oscar Faraday's vehicles.)

If you're just starting out, you can have as many commanders as you want at any level up to level 10.  To get beyond level 10, you must have a commander at each preceding level (stopping at level 10).  So to get a commander to level 11, you need another commander at level 10.  To get a commander to level 12, you need two more commanders, one at level 11 and one at level 10.

To get a commander to level 15, you need 1 commander at each level 14, 13, 12, 11, 10.  Yes, you need 6 total commanders to get one of them to level 15.

Once you have 2 commanders at level 15 (which only requires 7 total commanders because the "placeholder" commanders can be the same as the ones you used for your first level 15 commander), this restriction disappears and you can have as many commanders as you want at any level.

Edited by knutliott (see edit history)

Here are my pve-only builds (just give some bad ideas).

1. Ophelia - damage whore build, hard to substitite her - free lifesaver, free ammo, almost high dpm, almost high vision, mobility.

image.png.2d9d9bfe2834251d223b9abb0218f092.png

2. Duglas - i like this guy, but in my ranks he is mbt scout, well - very superior one.

image.png.ef47067d23ed9dd55658f0e7fe061f10.png

3. Sabrina is totally fine, and "must have" on ATDU PISH and WILK PELE

image.png.c5954d036fc4fec2cea693dbd87a3268.png

4. Strong guy Kortez. My "Merkava mobile gas station build" did survive time and work best on CATTB with HEAT.

image.png.5c7e4896d22b97fead01482f6ff3e468.png

For the deser, with Love from Zaycev build. This one shined in Moscow Simulator where you could kill 6-7 k MBT with just few shots from Wilk making full exploitation of crew kill mechanics to finest.

image.png.31f5b210eafa7a4eefdffa79f1782820.png

knutliott

my issue I guess then is I don't have enough commanders up to the appropriate level.  working on getting on 2 to the top level but boy is it a really long grind.   the tier 10 vehicle that gives you Douglass is also one I don't currently have either.  so once again I have to grind something lol.  by the time I get someplace with the current system it will be changed again XD!  back to the salt mines for me then.

I have this setup, specifically for the Chally I

phil-chally.png.fa97f4e869d2e478852c55bacc30d951.png

http://csb-hype.5v.pl/?holzklau=A6B4B6C3C5C6D5D6E1E3F1F2F3

Retros:
Improved gun breech v2 - Rof +13%
Improved Pioneer toolkit v2 - Repair Speed +35%
Improved Filter Systems v2 - Acc. +15%, engine HP + 50%

Crew skills:
Driver: off road driving (+ acc), spin 2 win (+ hull traverse)
Gunner: do the twist (+ turret traverse), sharpshooter (-5% Max spread)
Loader: Explosive shells (+ module dam), vehicle expertise (+ repair speed)

Because:
The default Chally is painfully slow, so slow I want to rip my hair out, hence the speed/acc boosts,
Boosts to turret and hull rotation so they can't get behind you.
Since (in glops for example) no one can do anything to you from the front ... at all, they end up tracking you, every single time. You will be tracked, you use a repair kit, they will immediately track you again, and then you will spend half of every game sitting there, waiting for the repair timer.
So for this I have all the increased repair speed boosts/ increased track HP.

Edited by Lenticulas (see edit history)

"Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth."

I was taught early on that in a game that involves tanks that a tank with a single hit point and is still combat effective is as much of a threat as a tank that has it's full health.  When AW started up, I was ammo racked all the time.  Driver was always dead.  So on and so forth.  I have taken a different approach to retain as much combat effectiveness as possible.  If I'm going to fit something, it has to be something that I will benefit from it more times than not.  There are too many retrofits and skills that are situational and usually means that you're in trouble anyways.

For retrofits:

• I lead off with Survivability Kit v2.  Keeping that crew damage and internal component damage to a minimum was something that keeps me from having to use that med kit or repair pack unless I have to.  After the server merge I tried to run without it but for me, not having a dead crew was more important that that trade off for something else that didn't help the survivability of the tank.
  • The second retro is Improved Gun Breach v2.  Rate of fire is rate of fire.  (Once I can get that Improved Barrel Lining upgrade unlocked, that'll be a game changer for me, but until I can it remains locked.)
  • As for the third retrofit, it depends on the tank.  There are certain traits that a gunner skill can offset.  Quick Draw and Sharpshooter can only go so far and I'll put either the Ballastic Computer or Advanced MRS to help bring the targeting down to a respectable level.  Certain tanks with the high spread and sub-2 second aim time gets the MRS, others with the okay spread and long aim time will get the ballastic computer.  For a new MBT when they come out, everyone that has played with me over the years know that I won't put the 3rd one on until I've made peace on how I'll use the tank then put the 3rd one on to bring it in line with how I want it.
  • If a 4th slot is available I use the AI Targeting.  There are one or two MBT's that I'll do something so I can get a hair bit better vision control but it's a rare thing again with it being too situational to put it to use all the time.

For crew skills:

• Most of my drivers get Spin-To-Win and Off-Road Driving.  Again, depending on the tank and how I play it I'll put Field Repair on.  The ones that can take a beating Field Repair isn't even part of the equation.
  • Gunners get Quick Draw and Sharp Shooter.  Certain tanks that can actually tank get Preventative Maintenance so I can keep the gun going.  Helping turret transverse is one of those things that is situational and isn't something that I'll use all the time, but being able to plant a shot is.
  • Most loaders get Rapid Fire.  Usually the second skill is Vehicle Expertise, but then again that depends on the tank.

"If you were not birthed with claws or fangs, store bought will do just fine."