Sign in to follow this  
Qbicle

Spirithaven BP Preview

Looks awful... MT-LB with bigger rockets maybe?

Because the MT-LB + Kitescu combo isn't enough for PvP, I heard it's basically breaks any semblance of balance when people can just rush and delete someone.

Spoiler

On 4/12/2020 at 2:46 PM, TeyKey1 said:

I'd love to have a LT or AFV as final reward. Would at least be a change.

^

I think I found the answer. Indonesia Pindad's SBS Light tank MLRS. Basically modernized AMX-13 with 122mm MLRS on the top.

So... Haswell was right after all XD

img_20141106_155347.jpg

Edited by Austin5125 (see edit history)

PanzerSofa ID'd the potential 5th vehicle for the BP, apparently it's the Hunter AFV (NGAFV) from Singapore. I verified that there are indeed references to the NGAFV in the game files as well.

https://vk.com/panzer_sofa?w=wall-102237486_244854

DY5E0oh.jpg

30mm gun, SPIKE missiles, probably a tier 7 or tier 8 I reckon. Also fat.

Spoiler

SBS Pindad will be a tier 8 AFV

This AFV will resemble a crossbreed between the popular MTLB S-8 and the Swingfire in the sense that it will fire devastating salvos of unguided rockets that will be also possible to launch over obstacles since they will follow an arced trajectory.

Another PVP-oriented vehicle, it seems.

aMcZOFg.png

I'm actually a bit worried about this BP being extremely frustrating in terms of coin income and the cost for rewards.

Since the last BP ended, the weekly spec ops boxes have been advertised to give out coin coupons for the next BP. The current Raid also include coins as rewards. All these methods of farming coins before the BP even started would probably lead to massive inflation and everything being stupidly expensive.

The last BP required about 140k coins to get to the CATTB, though the coin income was supplemented by the awful missions. I'm willing to bet this BP will include missions as well, but everything will still get more expensive.

Spoiler

On 4/13/2020 at 10:35 PM, Silentstalker said:

Two unannounced vehicles left. The next one is going to be either very fun or absolute cancer, I can't really decide. The one after - if you like the Chonker, you're gonna like that one I suspect.

WTF is the chonker? 

1 hour ago, Travlla said:

WTF is the chonker?

Hunter AFV, posted above.

Merged both of the BP preview threads together. I hope I didn't break anything...

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

SBS Pindad article is now out

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/development-sbs-pindad

The rockets will (unlike those of the MTLB S-8) follow an arcing trajectory, which means that with some skillful positioning, you’ll be able to fire at enemy targets without them being able to fire back because there will be an obstacle between you.

So this is the aspect that was said to be a bit like Swingfire.

HE missiles won’t be especially effective against frontal MBT armor and you’ll have to pick your foes carefully, otherwise you’ll be wasting precious ammunition on targets you can barely damage. Secondly, once the magazine is emptied, it will take more than 30 seconds to reload, which is a significant period of time to be left without any means of defense.

But, most importantly, the rockets will take considerably more time to travel to the target due to their high arc than any ATGMs or other vehicles’ rockets would. That will make targeting fast moving targets very difficult, unless they are moving directly towards you. Your fire will also not be all that effective at close ranges. The vehicle will also be using standard first-person (“sniper”) mode to aim, which means that aiming over obstacles, while possible, will require skill and careful positioning.

And last but not least, due to the way the rocket launcher is aimed and the high arcs it uses, its range will be severely limited and the vehicle will not be able to fire at more than 500 meters of distance. It’s also worth noting that the actual effective range will be far lower than that because of the long rocket travel time (unless the target is completely stationary).

The Pindad SBS AFV will also have relatively low camouflage value for its size and will become easy to spot when using this weapon due to the obvious fact that firing a massive rocket launcher is hardly inconspicuous.

HE only, and there is a maximum firing range. Not sure if there would be a minimum firing range though. One way or another, its use seems very, very situational.

aMcZOFg.png

And last but not least, due to the way the rocket launcher is aimed and the high arcs it uses, its range will be severely limited and the vehicle will not be able to fire at more than 500 meters of distance.

So it's basically a PLZ-05, but at a lower tier to dunk on things with less armor.

I don't even play PvP, and I can already tell this will be horribly broken. Probably not so much in PvE, but still awful.

Spoiler

55 minutes ago, Haswell said:

So it's basically a PLZ-05, but at a lower tier to dunk on things with less armor.

I don't even play PvP, and I can already tell this will be horribly broken. Probably not so much in PvE, but still awful.

Well, not exactly.

It's basically MTLB with missile bending but it's quite possible that, based on player feedback, we might remove the bending. So far we are still collecting it.

The shell (rocket) arc isn't the issue, it's that this thing can get behind someone and basically delete them at point blank. At point blank range the arc or accuracy wouldn't even be factors for balancing, it's the ability to delete something or someone at the cost of pretty much everything that makes it awful.

It will be exactly like the PLZ-05 in direct fire mode.

Spoiler

On 4/13/2020 at 8:35 AM, Silentstalker said:

The next one is going to be either very fun or absolute cancer, I can't really decide.

I mean, it's probably going to be lots of fun to play (like the PLZ-05 or MTLB) but absolute cancer to play against (like the PLZ-05 or MTLB).

Last vehicle is indeed the Singaporean Hunter NGAFV.

spacer.png

Homing Spikes confirmed, and apparently NERA would be its feature as some kind of "new mechanics", but don't we already have vehicles with NERA in the first place?

aMcZOFg.png

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/development-hunter-afv

In Armored Warfare, the Hunter AFV will be a Tier 9 Premium Armored Fighting Vehicle that will be available via the upcoming Battle Path Loot Crates, which you’ll be able to obtain for Battle Coins. As its description above suggests, it will be a rather standard-sized IFV with good levels of protection and excellent firepower. It will also be the first vehicle to use a new type of armor, NERA.

But before we get into any details, the usual disclaimer:

The numbers below are very preliminary as the vehicle has not been properly tested. They are sure to change and should only be discussed as an indicator of how we’d like to set the vehicle up.

With that being said, let’s look at those protection levels and the new armor mechanics this vehicle will feature. The vehicle itself will be sufficiently armored with its frontal plating protecting the crew from most autocannons. The turret will also be unmanned, further adding to its protection levels and, last but not least, the Hunter will also include a Trophy APS.

The really interesting part comes in form of the NERA armor type. NERA stands for Non-Explosive Reactive Armor (or sometimes Non-Energetic Reactive Armor) and is pretty much what its name suggests – an additional armor set that achieves the anti-HEAT ERA effect without the use of explosive filler in its elements. Instead, its elements contain inert filler (for example a special type of rubber) that expands as the impact energy of the shell dissipates into it. The advantage of this system is that it’s much safer than standard ERA. On the downside, equally sized NERA will never be as effective as actual ERA.

In Armored Warfare, NERA will be a hybrid of spaced armor and ERA. In other words, for all intents and purposes, it will act as spaced armor covering exposed parts of the vehicle, which means that to damage the vehicle by penetrating its main armor, you have to first defeat the NERA armor thickness. The difference is that NERA elements will have their own sets of hitpoints and will become damaged when fired upon. The protection level of NERA elements will decrease with their hitpoint loss (there will be four stages of NERA damage). After taking a sufficient amount of hits, NERA will break completely and will no longer provide any protection.

Mechanics-wise:

• NERA armor will not allow for ricochets to happen
  • NERA armor will come with different coefficients against different shell types
  • NERA armor will not be bypassed or ignored by special projectiles such as tandem HEAT warheads or kinetic missiles
  • Powerful hits (that penetrate both the NERA and the main armor of the tank behind it) can seriously damage the NERA but do not necessarily have to destroy it outright

In other words, what this means is that a vehicle with NERA will start with very good protection that will gradually decrease as the vehicle takes fire. In this case, Hunter’s NERA protection will be amongst the best of its Tier bracket and class, but will decrease to average only over the course of battle. The firepower of this vehicle will be rather conventional with its weapons consisting of:

• 30mm Bushmaster Mk.44 autocannon
  • Spike-ER ATGMs

The Bushmaster autocannon will fire 192mm penetration APFSDS and standard HE rounds at 500 rounds per minute or so (continuous belt-fed feed system) and will feature excellent -12 degrees depression and +70 degrees elevation.

The Spike-ER ATGM dual launcher will be able to fire two missiles in three seconds, followed by a longer reload period. The missiles will have HEAT warheads with 1000mm of penetration and will have the self-homing ability. These missiles will not fly extremely fast, but will be easy to control.

This vehicle’s firepower will be possible to further enhance by the means of additional progression to:

• Have two missiles in the air at the same time
  • Fire two missiles at once

The latter will effectively mean an ATGM “double tap” feature but will come at a price – with it installed, it will no longer be possible to launch a single missile at all, so every single ATGM launch will be followed by a long reload period.

As for the vehicle’s mobility, it will be good, excellent even – not the absolutely best, but somewhere between AS21 and K21. Hunter’s 711hp engine will allow it to go as fast as 70 km/h.

Utility-wise, the Hunter will have average camouflage factor (even though its engine will be harder to detect by enemy thermal imagers) but also excellent view range and will be able to deploy mechanized infantry.

As tactics go, the Hunter will be very universal. Its NERA armor will give it some edge early on in battle and its firepower will allow it to take care of most targets on the battlefield – with the “double tap” module enabled, it will hit especially hard with its first strike. At the same time, however, it will not excel in any specific discipline and will, unlike some other high-end vehicles, allow you to make some mistakes instead of exploding whenever someone looks at it funny. Rugged and reliable, it will provide an interesting middle-ground alternative to the fast but rather fragile K21 and the absolute chonker that is the AS21.

So basically the AS21, but with useful missiles at the cost of PELE. I'm not sure this will work too well at tier 9, considering it's practically a Rosomak M1 on tracks. NERA feels a bit meh as well, on the Hunter at least. Being squishy by design it shouldn't even try to get shot at in the first place much like the AS21, the extra armor is just unnecessary if it won't get used.

What is potentially interesting is whether or not NERA will be applied retroactively to existing vehicles like the Chally 2. Mechanically speaking they sound just like 4 layers of normal ERA, so they will definitely get shredded if an autocannon decides to rake you, so old vehicles with NERA might end up performing worse than they do right now.

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Haswell said:

So basically the AS21, but with useful missiles at the cost of PELE.

I don't use the PELE on the AS21 that often, so this mostly seems like an upgrade to me.  I carry 1500 AP and 500 PELE on the AS21, and tend to 'Q' to reload when I run out of AP rather than use the PELE.  On some maps when there are hordes of Bradleys or other soft skins, then I'll switch to PELE for the extra damage.  But I don't find it useful at all against anything that has any kind of reasonable armor.  (PvE only.)

Having useful missiles will be a huge bonus, as the AS21's missiles take so long to lock and fire that targets tend to be dead before they arrive.  And there are a frustrating number of vehicles that bounce the AS21's top-down missiles anyway, so the fact that you can't aim them yourself to go for a weak spot is really annoying.

@knutliott you have to learn how to use PELE, it is actually broken and too powerful, as long as you learn where to aim.

Not only it does more damage then AP, but is super useful on the well armored tanks,at least most of them. Lets say that a T10 MBT is facing you, exposing only the front, there is very little you can do to it with AP, use pele and aim at the right point, that usually is the upper edge of the turret, it works very well with the Abrams and many other MBTs, but ie for the merkava is the lower part of the turret, and your PELE will magically do a lot of damage. 

Some tanks like the PL01 and the Anders are more resilient to PELE, frontally you have to aim at the right spot and if they expose only the side are completely impervious to it, and this is why you should also carry some AP rounds that can pierce their sides without problem, but PELE is the way to go in 90% of the cases, is what let you damage most heavy armored tanks from every angle. AC is the main weapon of that tank, the top attack missiles are very situational and should be used only on certain tanks, ie against T15 the first one is blocked by the APS, but then you usually hit for full damage as long as the T15 is spotted by some other player, so remains your target, while you are behind some hard cover, while against the Terminator usually you get only at best reduced damage.

AC is the main weapon and PELE is the reason why, it is almost broken as I told as let you do damage to tanks that an AC should not touch, like an MBT that exposes only the front, maybe when it is hulldown so the heavy guns of your team can not touch him, so easily and effortlessly as long as you learn where to aim. I suggest you some trips to Alabino and a little experimentation, you way to see how the PELE of the AS21 is useful and powerful will be completely changed, it is not against the Bradley that it shines, as every AC can do damage to a Bradley (but the one of the crapjeep that can only penetrate its back), is against the well armored tanks.

Edited by BumbaX (see edit history)

I've been experimenting with it and see its usefulness now.  I realized that I was aiming at my "normal" AP spots on vehicles, and PELE needs to be aimed at different spots.

I still basically don't use it against MBTs because in PvE there's almost always another target.  The roof or front deck on an MBT seems to usually only do 13-15 damage per hit, whereas any other soft skin except a PL-01 or Anders is going to get you 35 per hit.  When facing an MBT, just back out and find something else to shoot.  Killing an MBT from the front isn't your job in an AS21.

But yeah, now that I've remembered that it requires different aiming, I've switched to 1600 PELE / 400 AP as my loadout.

That said, standard ATGMs on the Hunter is still going to be an upgrade over the AS21's top-downs.  Top-downs are pretty bad in PvE, so in many situations the AS21 is a cannon-only vehicle.  Being able to fire double-shot Spike missiles every once in a while should be a pretty dramatic DPM boost.

On 4/17/2020 at 6:59 AM, Travlla said:

Chonker

The Chonker which SS was alluding to is the AS21, since the the Hunter and the AS have similar characteristics and playstyle(s).

• Upvote 1

SS posted a teaser screenshot of the Type 10.

ScreenShot0237.jpg

Quoting from SS on official AW discord server:

Basically a MBT/LT hybrid with some plot twists.

One of them is a variant of the NERA armor (basically the tank will start as a normal MBT but its armor will deteriorate to something between MBT and LT). The other, more interesting one, I'll leave for the unveiling article.

Maybe something akin to Object 640's level of protection at most (and how it's relatively vulnerable after losing its ERA)?

aMcZOFg.png

Found some hints about the next BP. It will supposedly be called Enigma's Legacy, but that might change. We can probably guess the theme though.

MIlnsQF.png

Pay no heed to the Griffin 120 or York or Brosat references, those are likely just copy/pasted strings from the last BP out of laziness. I sometimes do the same as well.

I can somewhat deduce a few things from this:

• It will be related to the SH story, too bad I paid no attention to it.
  • Similar to the previous BPs, there will be 4 mission paths, 3 of which are probably ticket unlocks and the last one only available after the first 3 are completed.
  • There may not be stupid restrictions (ie. HEAT only, shell caliber, vehicle class) to the mission paths this time, since the descriptions don't reference anything specific.
  • We know there will be 5 reward vehicles for the BP. Assuming the mission paths offer existing vehicles again, that's at least 3 (maybe 4) vehicles unlockable from leveling up the BP and 1 from lootboxes. I'm not too certain about this though, since it's all placeholders for now.
  • Vaults. Fallout x Armored Warfare anyone?

Spoiler

The article is finally out:

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/development-type-10-hitomaru

In Armored Warfare, the Type 10 will be a Tier 10 Premium Main Battle Tank. As the description above suggests, as Main Battle Tanks go, it will be amongst the lightest, almost crossing gameplay-wise into the Light Tank territory. In addition to that, it’ll have a few interesting features that are described below. But before we get into any details, the usual disclaimer:

The numbers below are very preliminary as the vehicle has not been properly tested. They are sure to change and should only be discussed as an indicator of how we’d like to set the vehicle up.

With that being said, let’s start with the statement that despite weighing only roughly 40 tons, it will not only be highly mobile and accurate thanks to its advanced electronics, but it will also carry MBT-level armor.

Okay, that may sound a little too good at first glance. No worries though – the vehicle’s armor is just one of the new mechanics we’ve prepared for it.

The basic armor of the vehicle will be very thin (effectively Light Tank level), but the tank will feature ablative NERA armor. Simply put, the tank will start with its armor on par with other MBTs, allowing for some high-risk gameplay early on. However, as the game progresses and you get fired at, the ablative armor deteriorates and after a short while, it will not provide any protection whatsoever, leaving the tank with its basic hull only.

In such a form, the Type 10 will be left quite vulnerable, but combining its solid starting armor with Commander Kwon Han, who provides bonuses for the initial part of the battle, may yield some excellent results. This mechanic is a variant of the NERA mechanism, already introduced in the Hunter article. Additional protection will be provided by a soft-kill APS.

Firepower-wise, the Type 10 MBT will be armed with a 120mm L/44 smoothbore gun. This may not sound like much, but keep in mind this is basically a Light Tank in MBT’s clothing. What we’re looking at right now is:

• 825mm of APFSDS penetration (with mediocre damage per shot)
  • 4 round magazine (compensating the low per-shot damage value with excellent burst capability)
  • Extremely high accuracy (superior to the Tier 10 Leopard)
  • Solid -12/+20 degrees gun depression and elevation (enhanced even further by the presence of an active suspension)

But that’s not all because it’s here where the second new mechanic comes into play – a new AI aiming assistant called "Ballistic Sensor Suite". This one will, however, work differently than the one on the Type 16 MCV. Instead of telling you where to aim, the assistant will display the exact chance (in percent) to penetrate your target based on its armor thickness and angle.

The mobility will also be excellent with the tank’s 1200hp engine propelling its 40 tons forward at 70 km/h (0 to 32 km/h acceleration in 2.5 seconds), as will its agility. Few other heavier vehicles will be able to outmaneuver you. The Type 10 MBT will also be exceptionally stealthy for its class with its 20 percent camouflage rating that further increases with its active suspension lowered. The vision range (without the lowered suspension) will match that of the Black Panther (460m).

On the downside, this tank will not feature any hard-kill APS and once its ablative armor is depleted (which will happen after taking a few shots), it will become easy to destroy. In other words, this tank will be suitable for skilled players who enjoy aggressive, fast gameplay and strive to achieve battlefield dominance early in the battle. As the match drags on, the vehicle will lose its protection and you’ll have to be very careful not to get caught off-guard, but you’ll still be able to deliver devastating punches with this little devil.

So the second ability is like bringing an armour viewer with you.

Doesn't have hard kill APS, though such system is known to be in development at TRDI.

Not known if the tank will have shells other than APFSDS.

aMcZOFg.png