Haswell

In Development: Al Dabbah Map (PvP)

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/development-al-dabbah-map

It’s been a while since we added a new PvP map, hasn’t it? With the changes introduced as a part of Update 0.33, we thought we’d give your newly rebalanced vehicles a little bit of room to stretch their legs. Welcome to the Al Dabbah map!

scr1

Click the image to open a larger version

War has once again come to Sudan as multiple mercenary forces attempt to seize control of one of the last remaining large-scale solar power stations in the world – the Al Dabbah plant. This cutting edge facility uses technologies that are no longer available. Producing enough power for the entire region as well as being located on the river Nile, it is not only essential, but also irreplaceable. Many corporations are aware of that and the battles for this plant are expected to be exceptionally fierce.

scr2

The Al Dabbah desert map is very large and split into three parts by the river Nile to the south-east and an artificial channel to the north-west, each crossable relatively with ease. There are two banks and the plant itself, located in the middle. Both banks are fairly open with the only cover provided by the rolling dunes of Sahara along with some smaller villages.

scr3

The map will be available in two Random Battles types – Standard and Encounter.

In the Standard mode, one team will start in the southwest and another one in the south-east. Each side has a fairly open killing field at its disposal in order to defend your base properly. Each base is flanked by two elevated positions ideal for defending Tank Destroyers to settle in. However, these positions are fairly extended from the base itself, so switching between those on the fly is not really an option.

scr4

MBTs will have the options either to flank the power plant, , which could lead to their exposure or, alternatively, to short-range combat in the center of the plant. Either flank will allow them to approach the enemy base with some light cover, but it is not advised because the TDs watching over each base may pick them off if they’re not careful. The exposed flanks are best left to fast vehicles such as LTs and AFVs, which are able to cover long distances using their high maximum speeds.

scr5

However, surrendering the central base and focusing on flanking attacks is not really an option because the plant offers an excellent vantage point, controlling much of the flanking routes, the defensive TD positions and, worst of all, allowing the enemy to fire almost into your own base.

scr6

In the Encounter mode, there’s only one base that is located right under the central base to the south-east. Furious combat for the base itself and for the power-plant awaits you here as both you and the enemies attempt to take the base as quickly as possible.

scr7

Highly mobile warfare is the key to success here – if you manage to flank your opponents, your victory is all but assured.

PvP, meh.

Spoiler

15 hours ago, Haswell said:

The map will be available in two Random Battles types – Standard and Encounter.

Any chance we see a GLOPS version of it ? 

8 hours ago, Norse_Viking said:

Any chance we see a GLOPS version of it ? 

:nooo:No one (in the dev team)cares about Glops :QQQQQQ:

Edited by Lenticulas (see edit history)

"Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth."

1 hour ago, Norse_Viking said:

But, but, but according to recent studies GLOPS is more popular than pvp. 

PvE: 75 percent
PvP: 8 percent
GLOPS: 17 percent

:classic_wacko:

It's also considerably worse to balance and RU players aren't THAT keen on it. GLOPS is basically a playground for padders and casuals who don't care.

20 minutes ago, Silentstalker said:

GLOPS is basically a playground for padders and casuals

But the direction of the game is clearly starting to cater towards casual players. If Glops and PvE are what the casual players want, why focus on PvP which require considerably more skill than the other two modes?

Statpadding is pointless in AW since there's no competitive game mode (not counting the current ACG League that didn't get advertised outside of RU) where stats actually matter. There are no regular tourneys, no battalion vs battalion mode (Ranked don't count since people can soloqueue and get teamed up with random people), basically nothing where discerning player skill would be useful other than epeen stroking.

Spoiler

First worry is that with MBT mobility, the write of the map is wrong.  And TD's shooting things in the flank..unlikely as their AP is bad.  Will be interesting to see it when it comes out, found out which team rushes which direct around the map and then just zerg train like every other map

4 hours ago, Silentstalker said:

GLOPS is basically a playground for padders and casuals who don't care.

Waytago! - Lets insult everyone who likes AWs 2nd most popular mode!

:riotk:

Customer relations is alive and thriving at AW! ;->

"Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth."

5 hours ago, Silentstalker said:

It's also considerably worse to balance and RU players aren't THAT keen on it. GLOPS is basically a playground for padders

On a slightly more serious note: Ironically I think you let slip the actual problem with it.

The thing that I think you can't balance in it, IS the stat-padders.

Recently the matches have been so awful, so one sided, it's basically 1 match in 6 that is actually close, ALL the others are +1000 point, "no point in playing" slaughters.

NO fun for anyone. Certainly no fun for me.

It's got so bad that it's just.... becoming boring.

2 hours ago, Lenticulas said:

match in 6 that is actually close, ALL the others are +1000 point, "no point in playing" slaughters.

So is there a MM solution that would help? 

If it's too hard for an AI algorithm to do it, could we have a mode where some players get to pick a side, plus an IDC button or timer for other people with insufficient knowledge to be matched at the mercy of the AI?  I recognize this would put the onus on the player base to achieve balance. 

Seems like this would have a bigger payoff for player QoL improvement than better dirt effects.

QR

Well, why do you think we don't have any more GLOPS maps for ages?

The problem with this mode is that it's inherently flawed. Always has been, since Obsidian times. Even back then, it was a problem and it's been literally years. We've been trying to figure out a solution (including total overhauls of the mode - one idea, for example, was to turn it into a MOBA of sorts where players would capture bases along several routes, which would trigger steady stream of AI reinforcements) but the truth is, there is no good or simple solution to this issue (and believe me, we thought about a LOT of them).

If this was 2015-2016, the mode would have been removed just like Lords of War were but some players obviously still enjoy it, so there's nothing to gain in doing that. At this point, the mode will likely stay as it is.

I don't know about everyone else, but GLOPS took a bit to get used to and its different in a fun type of way.  When I can get on to play when there are enough people in que to do GLOPS, I would prefer it and the pace that it has over the pew-pew-match-over style of random battles.

• Upvote 1

"If you were not birthed with claws or fangs, store bought will do just fine."

10 hours ago, Lenticulas said:

Waytago! - Lets insult everyone who likes AWs 2nd most popular mode!

:riotk:

Customer relations is alive and thriving at AW! ;->

LOL... they insulted most of the playerbase with just about EVERYTHING that changed or was new in in update .33... what's one more insult?

22 hours ago, Silentstalker said:

It's also considerably worse to balance and RU players aren't THAT keen on it. GLOPS is basically a playground for padders and casuals who don't care.

You know, I never realized that. But you summed up GLOPS PERFECTLY with it. It sucks for the average players like me who play it as a means of a grind without the hyper competitive tryharding of PvP or Ranked, or the monotony of PvE. Wish there would be an effort to rebalance it, but at this point it's not worth the effort.

One quick change I'd put in to GLOPS that'd cause a shitstorm but would be entertaining is removal of allowing any platoons to queue for it - force everyone to solo queue. Less things for the matchmaking algorithm to calculate and attempt to work into when forming the two teams.

Edited by reciprocate (see edit history)

1 hour ago, reciprocate said:

One quick change I'd put in to GLOPS that'd cause a shitstorm but would be entertaining is removal of allowing any platoons to queue for it - force everyone to solo queue. Less things for the matchmaking algorithm to calculate and attempt to work into when forming the two teams.

Alternatively, you could allow platoons, but with a requirement for them to be internally balanced, so players would have to select slots based on vehicle class or vehicles within a class. This would reduce the frequency of a platoon 'o Pindads.  Reminds me of a SH Ch3 match where I was driving M1 Abrams and MM put me in with a platoon of 4 other M1 Abrams.... clearing the runway did not go well due to lack of DPM.

Especially for GLOPS, I don't feel like I *have* to play a particular vehicle, as long as I get to play... so (even though it's tougher on the MM) it might be nice for any mode to be able to submit a ranked list of vehicles, and for MM to give you a spot in a match based on the vehicles you are willing to play. For example, PVE queue wait for BVP-M80A is 2-3x as long as any other T5-6 right now, but if I could get into a match with less wait using something else, I might be OK with that. The frustration is that you can only offer one vehicle in queue at a time.

This might promote more vehicle diversity in matches, which would also improve balance.

QR 

2 hours ago, reciprocate said:

1 hour ago, Quantum_Ranger said:

Alternatively, you could allow platoons, but with a requirement for them to be internally balanced, ...

I made a thread for this, gentlemen (and posslbly ladies, I have no idea) so it doesn't get lost in this thread about a pvp map ... please feel free to add to it :-)