Sign in to follow this  
Azdule

IN DEVELOPMENT: KORNET-D1 - Why powercreep 1 tier 10 premium, when you can do it to two at once?

NEWS

IN DEVELOPMENT: KORNET-D1

MAY 04TH | 2021

Commanders,

Today, we’d like to tell you more about an upcoming Russian vehicle called Kornet-D1.

scr2

Kornet-D1-BMGSh (photoshopped image of how the vehicle could look like)

You are, of course, already familiar with the name Kornet, which belongs to a fairly modern family of anti-tank guided missiles. In Armored Warfare, we already have one Kornet-based vehicle, the Kornet-EM AFV, which is one of the deadliest Tier 10 machines available in PvP – and for a good reason; its quad missile launchers can wreak havoc upon unsuspecting enemies. However, its popularity is more or less hamstrung by the fact it is a wheeled vehicle and it is therefore more difficult to control.

This led us to an idea – why not put the ATGM platform on a tracked chassis? This, in turn, led us to the Kornet-D1-BMGSh project.

Here’s where things get complicated, so let’s start with a little history behind the vehicle. In June 2013, the Russian Ministry of Defense issued a set of requirements for a Tank Destroyer, which would be built on the BMD-4M chassis (Izdelie 960M). This Tank Destroyer was intended for the Russian Airborne forces (VDV) and would be armed with two Kornet quad-tube launchers in roughly the same configuration as used on the Tigr platform. In other words, these launchers were supposed to be able to traverse and were to be retractable into the hull.

In December 2013, a contract was awarded to Kurganmash (the producer of the BMD-4M) to develop this platform. Kurganmash started working on the project in August 2014 and, at that point, the vehicle received the designation Kornet-D1-BMGSh (BMGSh stands for “Armored Vehicle, Tracked Chassis”). And this is where the story pretty much ends. The project was obviously canceled somewhere along the way, likely in 2018. In 2018, an article came out about the future of the vehicle, stating that a prototype would take part in state trials in 2019, but this never happened and no prototype was ever built (or at least shown to public). No drawings of the project were published either, so nobody really knows what the machine would have looked like, although speculative fan-made renders do exist on the internet.

scr1

BTR-MDM Rakushka

As such, the vehicle you see on the screens in this article is our interpretation of what the project could have looked like. With the aid of a military expert working in the arms industry, we created our vision of what the Kornet-D1-BMGSh was. Right off the bat, upon reviewing the dimensions of the BMD-4 platform, we decided that it simply was not large enough to house the dual-launcher Kornet system the way it was defined by the Russian Ministry of Defense. As an alternative solution, we used another vehicle from the BMD-4 family, the BTR-MDM Rakushka.

The Rakushka is an APC based on the BMD-4M chassis, developed for the Russian Airborne forces in 2015 or so. Some 50 vehicles of this type are currently in service, which allowed us to model the hull properly. Simply put, we replaced the troop compartment with the twin launcher system – that way, we are sure that the Kornet launchers would actually fit. Nonetheless, for all intents and purposes, this is a hypothetical vehicle and we hope that you’ll enjoy it despite the fact. We also dropped the BGMSh factory designation and will be simply referring to the vehicle as Kornet-D1.

scr3

Click the image to open a larger version

In Armored Warfare, the Kornet-D1 will be a Tier 10 Premium Tank Destroyer.

But before we get into any details, the usual disclaimer:

The numbers below are very preliminary as the vehicle has not been properly tested. They are sure to change and should only be discussed as an indicator of how we’d like to set the vehicle up.

With that being said:

As the description above suggests, the vehicle will basically the Kornet-EM missile carrier, only with tracks. However, while that’s really the core of it, there will be more than one difference between the two.

scr4

Where the Kornet-EM can act as an extremely fast pseudo-scout of sorts thanks to its blazing speed, the Kornet-D1 will be the ultimate stealthy missile launcher with perhaps the best camouflage factor in the game, surpassing even that of the Shadow. The weapon system will be identical to Kornet-EM, including its limited traverse and the double tap feature, where two missiles can be launched at once (although this feature needs to be unlocked along with an optional module). However, when activating it:

• It will take 4 seconds between launches instead of 2.7 seconds
  • It will take 40 seconds to fully reload instead of 27 seconds

The missiles will be identical in their performance to Kornet-EM. Overall, we are looking at roughly 11500 points of damage per minute without the double launch feature and 10000 with it. The vehicle will carry 48 missiles.

scr5

There will, of course, be downsides to compensate having so much firepower. For one, as you have probably expected, the vehicle will have almost no armor to speak of, or any active protective measures for that matter, save for the usual smoke grenades. Secondly, its speed will be considerably inferior to that of the Kornet-EM, even though it will be adequately fast and agile for it class. And, finally, unlike the Kornet-EM, the Kornet-D1 will be practically blind with its viewrange of only 370m. There’s a caveat though – the Kornet-D1 can deploy a Sniper to do its spotting for it.

scr6

When you put all this together with the excellent camouflage factor, you’ll have an extremely stealthy and hard-hitting vehicle, which, on the other hand, has to rely on other players or your sniper for spotting and perishes quickly when discovered. Fast dashes won’t generally be possible with this vehicle (unless you use an Active Ability). Instead, you’ll have to stay hidden, strike fast and then carefully make your way to the next hiding spot, like a ninja in the night.

scr7

The vehicle will offer some limited performance customization too. Module-wise, you’ll get to choose between the double tap feature and some extra camouflage, and also between lower camouflage penalties for launching your missile (ideal for staying hidden on one spot) and removing your camouflage penalty for moving (for switching positions stealthily). And, last but not least, you’ll have three Active Abilities to choose from: Sniper Mechanized Infantry, Override and Retreat.

scr8

Kornet-D1 loading animation

We hope that you will enjoy this vehicle as much as we enjoyed making it for you and, as always:

See you on the battlefield!

Soooo... it probably won't be new BP reward but standard lootbox premium, but it looks fun. Especially with that stupid camo.

1 hour ago, LeoAegisMaximus said:

this thing will out meta the aft-10 and kornet?

combined with stealth that's better then the Shadow...so top of the top stealth...

3 hours ago, LeoAegisMaximus said:

this thing will out meta the aft-10

Implying that the aft-10 is anywhere close to meta... That thing was ruined with .33... That said I am scared if this thing makes it into the game with retarded camo. Like wtf, do they want people to leave their game? Chipped to dead from vehicles which are hidden sounds like very fun and engaging gameplay. Ofc this is assuming it actually gets retarded camo. Furthermore, 370m is defo not blind and more than the average mbt, but what is worse, it will get sniper... Not sure where the sniper will hide since the troop compartment is removed, but realism or something. All in all, I am afraid this thing will be stupid and will powercreep the shadow and aft (and maybe even the current kornet), so I do hope this vehicle will be more balanced than I think it is... 

5 hours ago, Azdule said:

As such, the vehicle you see on the screens in this article is our interpretation of what the project could have looked like. With the aid of a military expert working in the arms industry, we created our vision of what the Kornet-D1-BMGSh was. Right off the bat, upon reviewing the dimensions of the BMD-4 platform, we decided that it simply was not large enough to house the dual-launcher Kornet system the way it was defined by the Russian Ministry of Defense. As an alternative solution, we used another vehicle from the BMD-4 family, the BTR-MDM Rakushka.

The Rakushka is an APC based on the BMD-4M chassis, developed for the Russian Airborne forces in 2015 or so. Some 50 vehicles of this type are currently in service, which allowed us to model the hull properly. Simply put, we replaced the troop compartment with the twin launcher system – that way, we are sure that the Kornet launchers would actually fit. Nonetheless, for all intents and purposes, this is a hypothetical vehicle and we hope that you’ll enjoy it despite the fact. We also dropped the BGMSh factory designation and will be simply referring to the vehicle as Kornet-D1.

I just want to highlight this part in case anybody brings up "real vehicles" at any point in the future. This thing is a napkin design.

Spoiler

Abrams AGDS has another sad.

Seriously, 8 Kornets with the best camo in the game, built on a tiny little BMD chassis, gets 48 rounds while the AGDS built on one of the larger MBT chassis is still stuck with 24?  WTAF?

BALANS!  BALANS ALL DAY!!!

Not like it will perform any good in PVE. PVP maybe given you make good use of x-ray sniper and your camo. As for camo: Very hard to tell how good it will be given we don't know the camo drop on firing the launchers which can make the camo useless.

Though not an interesting vehicle at all. Take wheeled Kornet, be much faster, have better firepower, better spotting capabilities (if we expect sniper to be fixed one day). I don't see a single reason why you would want to use this at all if you have the Jeep.

Spoiler

fdassdaas.jpg.c709df3e98adc5265f232fe9458a3043.jpg

My feeling that this new unofficial design is going to be second, alternative reward for battalion contracts in addition to Shadow. The vehicle adds not much new to game unless per description and it offers the same gameplay like Hellfire, AFT-10 and Kornet-D Tiger. Making in-house "what if" designs seems not new, they did it with T40, but in this case the vehicle fits ok to "alternative reality", in same time the tech doesn't look cute or modern to me. 

Edited by dfnce (see edit history)

I'd like to see it as a battalion reward tank as an alternative to the Shadow...a man can dream.

17 hours ago, Haswell said:

I just want to highlight this part in case anybody brings up "real vehicles" at any point in the future. This thing is a napkin design.

Yes. This basically slipped me by. The devs wanted a tracked Kornet and added it to their plans and when I was looking at it, I totally assumed it was real because it had some render next to it which looked like a photo. A year later, here I am on my old blog ranting about fake Wargaming tanks and how I hate this shit. Boom, two days later, I find out that this is fake but the model is already made (at least it's realistic and designed by a guy who actually understands tank design, unlike the WG shit, but that's just cope), so too late to change anything (and they probably wouldn't anyway since the objective was "tracked Kornet").

So.... sorry.

1 hour ago, Silentstalker said:

Yes. This basically slipped me by. The devs wanted a tracked Kornet and added it to their plans and when I was looking at it, I totally assumed it was real because it had some render next to it which looked like a photo. A year later, here I am on my old blog ranting about fake Wargaming tanks and how I hate this shit. Boom, two days later, I find out that this is fake but the model is already made (at least it's realistic and designed by a guy who actually understands tank design, unlike the WG shit, but that's just cope), so too late to change anything (and they probably wouldn't anyway since the objective was "tracked Kornet").

So.... sorry.

I mean, at the moment I imagine there is going to be a struggle to get new tanks into the game without some 'paper tanks' being made?

Sure we could have 37 different variations of the same hull and turret with different ERA config, but I wouldn't consider those as new tanks.

Besides when we eventually get to tier 11, there's gonna have to be paper tanks :D

1 hour ago, Azdule said:

I mean, at the moment I imagine there is going to be a struggle to get new tanks into the game without some 'paper tanks' being made?

I mean, there are soooooo many AFV designs right now you could build three or four full T1-T10 vehicle lines plus assorted premiums using only vehicles in active service or developmental vehicles.

But I see why SS is being frustrated, but at least the model follows the laws of pyhsics unlike some WoT designs.

1 hour ago, Azdule said:

Sure we could have 37 different variations of the same hull and turret with different ERA config, but I wouldn't consider those as new tanks.

Besides when we eventually get to tier 11, there's gonna have to be paper tanks :D

I think we have a good amount of realistic designs to implement yet, this year. Next year is going to be more interesting. But we have one massive advantage over WoT or WT. New tech is being unveiled all the time. Armata, VT-5, ZTQ-15, Type 96B, Kurganets... all these designs were unveiled basically during the development process and all of these are high Tier. Running out of interesting designs? All we have to do is wait for the next major expo and voila.

Just now, Schlock said:

Sooo, new progression vehicles? Assuming you can talk about it.

Well, I am going to tell you the same thing I told one of the influencers this morning.

A new progression line is theoretically possible, but honestly, how will you convince the devs it's worth it when you have models that are on one hand super expensive and on the other hand bring little? Especially the low Tiers, anything below Tier 5 is money thrown out of the window.

When I first heard of the plans that there would not be any more progression lines, which was like, hmm, mid-2019, the assumption was that the resources would be pooled into something different. It is completely true that this game does have enough progression vehicles and the current progression system is obsolete. Those are completely rational arguments why more progression lines were scrapped.

When you have the core playerbase with billions of XP, well, it's like inflation. It's not worth anyhting. We do not introduce new free content just for our love of the game, we want players to actually play it. But following various balance 2.0, server reset and other compensations, a significant portion of core players has enough XP/credits to unlock the entire new line right away, resulting in zero gain but huge expenses.

It's not like that it wasn't given any though, I mean... I personally proposed a  draft of something like a superprogression, where the vehicles would be basically "free" (as in, available for XP/rep/credits) but very expensive. It was a bit more complicated than that, but anyway, it was rejected. But if something like that ever happens, it'll be along those lines. But the same way it was introduced earlier? Forget it.

Or you can take a look at it from a different perspective. The BP entry fee is basically so low (and for Gold, which we give out for free every week) that BP vehicles basically ARE progression vehicles with premium status. All you have to invest is your time.

I hope for progression tanks soon, because the constant churning of premiums is getting stale for me.  Seems like the game is stagnant and devs just want money rather than adding new things for players.  I know this isn't the case, but it seems like it

So no progression lines at all?  No more tech tree tanks?  I'm not sure I understand the logic of that to be honest.  If players don't have new things to get, then what's to keep them in the game?

While I appreciate the comment that players will have loads of xp & credits stored up, without something to sink it into, the problem only gets worse the longer it goes on.  Eventually, all players will have nothing to grind for, so what's to keep all the players just joining?

Edited by Azdule (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Azdule said:

I hope for progression tanks soon, because the constant churning of premiums is getting stale for me.  Seems like the game is stagnant and devs just want money rather than adding new things for players.  I know this isn't the case, but it seems like it

So no progression lines at all?  No more tech tree tanks?  I'm not sure I understand the logic of that to be honest.  If players don't have new things to get, then what's to keep them in the game?

While I appreciate the comment that players will have loads of xp & credits stored up, without something to sink it into, the problem only gets worse the longer it goes on.  Eventually, all players will have nothing to grind for, so what's to keep all the players just joining?

Yes, that is an element of the game that I like to call "core narrative" - it's a topic I was trying to explain to the developers and producers for two years now. So far without success. It seems really simple at first glance, but it isn't, there are a lot of underlying nuances, some of which I am not at liberty to explain. Suffice to say, the way things are done currently do work. We are not morons (contrary to what some simpler players believe - Dunning Kruger and all that), we see the results of our actions and what works and what does not. The most I can say right now is that it's an ongoing discussion.

11 minutes ago, Silentstalker said:

A new progression line is theoretically possible, but honestly, how will you convince the devs it's worth it when you have models that are on one hand super expensive and on the other hand bring little? Especially the low Tiers, anything below Tier 5 is money thrown out of the window.

Give them models simple to produce, for example M150 TOW vehicle, M113 model exists, TOW launcher as well. M901 ITV, again M113 exists, TUA launcher exists on C13 as well. Make it tier 7, give it good view range because RL vehicle had really good thermals for its time.

AMX-13 SS-11 is another example from the top of my head, you have AMX-13 chassis in game, turret would take some work but it would make a quite unique vehicle.

Pereh is another, it is built on a Magach 5 hull and modified turret. NLOS missiles would probably take some balancing but it is not impossible. Namer IFV variant could be another vehicle, Merkava 4 hull and 30mm + Spike unmanned turret.

Still, those are just some ideas from the top of my head, you probably heard them all before.

I like overprogression vehicles, like WoWS premiums for free xp.

Thanks for the answer.

10 minutes ago, Silentstalker said:

Yes, that is an element of the game that I like to call "core narrative" - it's a topic I was trying to explain to the developers and producers for two years now. So far without success. It seems really simple at first glance, but it isn't, there are a lot of underlying nuances, some of which I am not at liberty to explain. Suffice to say, the way things are done currently do work. We are not morons (contrary to what some simpler players believe - Dunning Kruger and all that), we see the results of our actions and what works and what does not. The most I can say right now is that it's an ongoing discussion.

Ok, thanks for the breakdown.  Would it add value to get the players opinion on matters?  I know that you can't reach everyone, and getting from here wouldn't be a wide enough reach, but perhaps a simple poll on what players would like to see?  I know cost implication on things, but if the playerbase decides on mass for something, then it should give the devs something to look into perhaps?

I've noticed a fair few peeps asking in official discord about progression tanks and when their told there aren't any planned, they get a bit bummed out.  If they were to be told that there are no further progression tanks (for xp/ credits) it might give some players a wake up call to say something.

1 minute ago, Azdule said:

Ok, thanks for the breakdown.  Would it add value to get the players opinion on matters?  I know that you can't reach everyone, and getting from here wouldn't be a wide enough reach, but perhaps a simple poll on what players would like to see?  I know cost implication on things, but if the playerbase decides on mass for something, then it should give the devs something to look into perhaps?

I've noticed a fair few peeps asking in official discord about progression tanks and when their told there aren't any planned, they get a bit bummed out.  If they were to be told that there are no further progression tanks (for xp/ credits) it might give some players a wake up call to say something.

This is not a matter any amount of feedback short of game-wide uprising (don't...) would solve, and you won't organize that because even our official channels only reach a fraction of players. It's about mathematics, which you cannot do either because you do not have the right input.

1 minute ago, Silentstalker said:

This is not a matter any amount of feedback short of game-wide uprising (don't...) would solve, and you won't organize that because even our official channels only reach a fraction of players. It's about mathematics, which you cannot do either because you do not have the right input.

A real shame as from a quick glance...we have gold for BP/Raid entry for tanks there...otherwise it's a case of spending IRL cash on gambling to get new premium tier 10 tanks, or large cost bundles to get it if it's lower tier.  

Seems that the market is narrowing even further then.  Sad times

5 hours ago, Silentstalker said:

But we have one massive advantage over WoT or WT. New tech is being unveiled all the time.

In case of WT you could say that 4 years ago. But within that period of time WT provided many modern vehicles. They still don't touch area of what AW tier 9-10 is but they are close. Also their rank system is flexible enough to expand.

Console WoT 2.0 (Modern Armor) with modern vehicles yet to grow and improve, and will take even few years before it possibly enters PC market. 

We could use a new game loop or two. Right now the only game loop that there is either PVE or PVP is capture the flag, and one team death match mode PVE only.

Another game play loop would do the community good more than just a few new tanks. Maybe some S&D. The bots are already all spawned in when the match start and the players have to find and kill them all before the timer runs out. Should be able to use current maps, for the most part. Would need to adjust the AI a little for that mode, make them more defensive. We could also have a race track mode, no shooting just a normal race but with tanks. Different classes would be needed.

You could also add some shooting challenges, like carnival shooting games. You could also have tank skee ball where you are the ball and drive down the ramp to launch you tank into the various holes for points. To use up some of the excess credits and or XP.  You could buy tokens, that you would use for a try at each of these game that you could win tickets just like an arcade. Those tickets could have a expiration date say 1 month. You could use the tickets to win various prizes, stuff you would normal get in loot crates or unlock the various camouflages.

23 hours ago, dfnce said:

In case of WT you could say that 4 years ago. But within that period of time WT provided many modern vehicles. They still don't touch area of what AW tier 9-10 is but they are close. Also their rank system is flexible enough to expand.

Console WoT 2.0 (Modern Armor) with modern vehicles yet to grow and improve, and will take even few years before it possibly enters PC market. 

I am not really worried about WT. Their toxic progression model basically prohibits normal players from reaching so high in any reasonable amount of time. Sure, you CAN get there, but unlike in AW, those top vehicles aren't an integral part of the game. They are more like a cherry on the top. And yes, WT can totally add new vehicles as well, but they are so far behind us in this regard they'll never catch up. And even when we add vehicles WT already has, it usually doesn't affect us in the slightest

The thing we were actually worried about was Modern WoT, which you probably heard of as "Excalibur" - but that was like 2016 or so (we knew about it far sooner than players, you don't really hide much in this industry). Their development collapsed long time ago, so that's not going anywhere. Console WoT is its own thing that has almost nothing to do with the PC version so it's unlikely that these are coming to PC. And even if they were, it wouldn't really affect us. AW players play AW because it's not WoT. We have many flaws, but not the WoT ones, like arty in PvP on gold ammo.