Edit History

MK_Regular

MK_Regular

On 5/8/2021 at 11:36 PM, Haswell said:

I'm strongly on the side of not caring about "real vehicles" as long as the gameplay is good, especially when the game lore has already given a free pass to fantasy elements by virtue of being set in the future. The gameplay is already about constantly being outnumbered, pitted against overwhelming odds, physics-defying airships, and recently fighting a UFO using Cold War tech.

I second this bit. I don't really care if a vehicle is "real" or not as long as my suspension of disbelief is not broken. I am willing to make relatively minor concessions for gameplay purposes (e.g. the 30 ATGMs that the wiesels get), but the design of the vehicle itself must at the very least be plausible (and somewhat sensible).

To this end the Kornet D1 is perfectly fine imo, since it takes two existing systems and combines them in a way that would probably be functional in real life. I have no issues with this kind of thing in the future if the devs want to add some of the more obscure vehicle designs or proposals that never made it to the mock-up stage (as long as the designs would have been functional had they reached the prototype stage, designs without room for the crew or with no way to load the gun are a no-no).

The only vehicle in the game (that I've seen, I haven't done SH ch4) that breaks my suspension of disbelief is the airship, which continually takes any suspension of disbelief that I might have and throws it out the window whenever I so much as look at it. There is no way that such a contraption would be able to fly, let alone carry several hundred tons worth of armoured vehicles, and yet every time we see one of these offences to aerospace engineering it manages to do both. I'm not going to get into the details about how much thrust you need in order to lift take off and land vertically with several hundred tons of cargo, but it should suffice to say that the airship's lift fans wouldn't be able to provide the required thrust (which is probably comparable to the first stage of a Saturn V rocket).

As long as the vehicles (playable, and preferably non-playable) are nowhere near as egregiously physics-defying as the airship, I have no issues with them.

MK_Regular

MK_Regular

On 5/8/2021 at 11:36 PM, Haswell said:

I'm strongly on the side of not caring about "real vehicles" as long as the gameplay is good, especially when the game lore has already given a free pass to fantasy elements by virtue of being set in the future. The gameplay is already about constantly being outnumbered, pitted against overwhelming odds, physics-defying airships, and recently fighting a UFO using Cold War tech.

I second this. I don't really care if a vehicle is "real" or not as long as my suspension of disbelief is not broken. I am willing to make relatively minor concessions for gameplay purposes (e.g. the 30 ATGMs that the wiesels get), but the design of the vehicle itself must at the very least be plausible (and somewhat sensible).

To this end the Kornet D1 is perfectly fine imo, since it takes two existing systems and combines them in a way that would probably be functional in real life. I have no issues with this kind of thing in the future if the devs want to add some of the more obscure vehicle designs or proposals that never made it to the mock-up stage (as long as the designs would have been functional had they reached the prototype stage, designs without room for the crew or with no way to load the gun are a no-no).

The only vehicle in the game (that I've seen, I haven't done SH ch4) that breaks my suspension of disbelief is the airship, which continually takes any suspension of disbelief that I might have and throws it out the window whenever I so much as look at it. There is no way that such a contraption would be able to fly, let alone carry several hundred tons worth of armoured vehicles, and yet every time we see one of these offences to aerospace engineering it manages to do both. I'm not going to get into the details about how much thrust you need in order to lift take off and land vertically with several hundred tons of cargo, but it should suffice to say that the airship's lift fans wouldn't be able to provide enough thrust (total thrust required is probably comparable to the first stage of a Saturn V rocket).

As long as the vehicles (playable, and preferably non-playable) are nowhere near as egregiously physics-defying as the airship, I have no issues with them.

MK_Regular

MK_Regular

1 hour ago, Haswell said:

I'm strongly on the side of not caring about "real vehicles" as long as the gameplay is good, especially when the game lore has already given a free pass to fantasy elements by virtue of being set in the future. The gameplay is already about constantly being outnumbered, pitted against overwhelming odds, physics-defying airships, and recently fighting a UFO using Cold War tech. Realism got thrown out of the window long ago, there is no need to cling onto the idea of playable vehicles must exist in real life.

I second this. I don't really care if a vehicle is "real" or not as long as my suspension of disbelief is not broken. I am willing to make relatively minor concessions for gameplay purposes (e.g. the 30 ATGMs that the wiesels get), but the design of the vehicle itself must at the very least be plausible (and somewhat sensible).

The only vehicle in the game (that I've seen, I haven't done SH ch4) that breaks my suspension of disbelief is the airship, which continually takes any suspension of disbelief that I might have and throws it out the window whenever I so much as look at it. There is no way that such a contraption would be able to fly, let alone carry several hundred tons worth of armoured vehicles, and yet every time we see one of these offences to aerospace engineering it manages to do both. I'm not going to get into the details about how much thrust you need in order to lift take off and land vertically with several hundred tons of cargo, but it should suffice to say that the airship's lift fans wouldn't be able to provide enough thrust (total thrust required is probably comparable to the first stage of a Saturn V rocket).