Sign in to follow this  
Beeda2004

Challenger 2

I recently acquired the Challenger 2 and have been enjoying it so far. 

I am looking for recommendations for retrofits. So far the turret traverse seems abysmal so I am thinking Improved Turret Drive would be a good choice. The acceleration also seems to be lacking, while I don't have the engine upgrade yet I am thinking the Improved Filter Systems would be a good choice

Now that leaves the last 2 slots for improvements. Any recommendations would be awesome, thanks!

First, you should probably be using Vincent Girard as your commander for the Challenger series, because he has mobility boosts that really help these unwieldy tanks.  He can also boost health by nearly 15% which is nice on any MBT but especially good on Challengers and Merkavas because they already have large health pools to start with.  Girard can put a Chally over 5K health.  I use Douglas for most of my MBTs, but Vincent for the Challys and Merkavas.

Second, retrofits will depend on both how you plan and what game mode you're playing.  I can only comment on PvE because that's all I play.  PvE is all about doing as much damage as you can as quickly as you can, so retrofits are generally chosen with that in mind.  That's done with gun retrofits and vision retrofits (you can't shoot if you can't see).  In PvE, every vehicle should be using the Improved Gun Breach v2 retrofit which increases rate of fire by 12.5%.  It's the single best retrofit for PvE and short of some really weird corner cases I can't think of any vehicle that doesn't benefit from having it installed.  After that I look at the vehicle's accuracy and aim time.  I prefer accuracy to be below 0.10 and aim time to be below 2.0 seconds (preferably 1.5 seconds).  So if those need adjusting, I use the appropriate retrofits.  Then I'll slot in the visual range enhancements if I still have room.

I generally do not use chassis or turret retrofits because in PvE you rarely need them.  If you've gotten into a position where either of those is necessary, you've probably made a major mistake and you need to learn to avoid that rather than wasting a retrofit slot on a preventative measure.  Both are similar to the aim time retrofit in that they help you come to bear on target faster, but aim time is always useful (for literally every shot) whereas chassis and turret enhancements are only occasionally useful (once you're pointed in the right direction you no longer need them until you move again).  That said, if your play style is to get in close and brawl with the enemy, then they can be very useful.  So you have to keep in mind how you play when choosing retrofits.

Edited by knutliott (see edit history)

Thanks for the reply!

For the command I am already using Vincent, I was also considering Sabrina however for the module and crew damage for the HESH rounds. I hear that Sabrina for the ADTU and PISH works quite well. I can see how the health that comes with Vincent will be quite good. I still don't have Douglas unlocked so I haven't had the change to try him out yet but his skills look quite good.

I also only play PvE and just came off the grind of unlocking Girard than going for the Improved Barrel Lining so I have been playing a lot of the Leclerc and the T4 and got used to the play style. I guess when coming to the Challenger 2 after that it just feels very sluggish. But I do see your point in mobility not meaning nearly as much in PvE.