Sign in to follow this  
Haswell

Yet another Raid

Pretty much exactly the same as last time, so... :zzzeal:

https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/desert-storm-raid

Spoiler

The Desert Storm Raid is now available. This month-long event will put you into the role of a raider, conquering the territory represented by a map but unlike the last time, you’ll be able to follow the footsteps of Operation Desert Storm around the city of Basra and win four amazing historically-appropriate skins for the vehicles that participated in the operation back in 1991.

You can access the event by:

• Completing 10 Contract Missions
  • Purchasing access for 499 Gold (click on the Raid icon in your Garage)

But, compared to the last time, we’ve decided to upgrade the event a bit. No matter how you obtain the access, upon obtaining it, you’ll also receive the T-72M1 Tier 5 Premium MBT for free! This Premium variant of the T-72A features powerful frontal armor that is, despite the lack of an ERA kit, more than capable of withstanding most enemy fire. Its powerful 125mm gun will make short work of anything on the battlefield.

T-72M1

Aside from this, four main rewards in the form of epic skins await you:

Asad Babil skin for the T-72M1 Tier 5 Main Battle Tank – the T-72M1 MBT was the best tank in Iraqi service during Operation Desert Storm. The domestic modification of this tank was called Lion of Babylon and featured several distinctive elements, such as the IR dazzler on the left side of the turret. You can read more about the skin in our dedicated article.

asad1

Gallery (Click to Open)

Challenger 1 Mk.3 ODS skin for the Challenger 1 Tier 7 Main Battle Tank – based on a historical vehicle belonging to the 7th Armoured Brigade, the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. During Operation Desert Storm, the Challengers participated in one of the largest tank battles of all times, the Battle of Norfolk. You can read more about the skin in our dedicated article.

chal

Gallery (Click to Open)

M60A1 USMC skin for the M60A1 Tier 4 Main Battle Tank – the U.S. Marines tank units fought during the Operation Desert Storm still equipped with the old M60A1 MBTs (and some M60A3 TTS models). However, these were fitted with an additional armor kit and some extra equipment. Despite being generally obsolete, these tanks performed admirably against the Iraqi military. You can read more about the skin in our dedicated article.

usmc

Gallery (Click to Open)

Daguet skin for the ERC-90 F4 Sagaie Tier 5 Tank Destroyer – the third major military participating in the operation was the French one. Light armored vehicles from the Daguet division performed fast, daring dashes across the battlefield and got into more than one battle with the enemy. You can read more about the skin in our dedicated article.

daguet

Gallery (Click to Open)

And finally:

Iraqi Camouflage available for completing each objective and for claiming every other reward. The camouflage is based on a real-life Iraqi pattern that was used during the war, as we mostly have the Coalition patterns in the game already. The pattern consists of sand-colored background and wide green stripes that are perfect for anything that fought on the Iraqi side during the war, for example the T-55 and T-62 models as well as the BMPs.

camo

Apart from the abovementioned rewards, there will be a lot more to earn, including Boosters, Battle Coins for the next Battle Path, Premium Time, Credits and more.

FAQ:

Spoiler

What is the Raid event?

The Raid is a month-long event, in which you, as a Raider, conquer certain territory by moving along the lines representing roads and other paths and forming a grid. Each grid intersection has a point that is either a mission that you must complete (Mission Points), or a reward that you may claim (Reward Points). Completing the mission or claiming the reward unlocks another portion of the grid. The main prizes await you in each of the territory map’s corners. Players who complete all missions and claim all rewards receive a special reward.

scr1

Once the map is available to you (either by purchasing access or completing 10 Contract Missions), start from the center by clicking on one of the dots that show the initial direction of your advance.

What rewards are there available?

Standard Reward Points that can be found around the grid will reward you with various items such as Reputation, Boosters or even Battle Coins for an upcoming Battle Path. The top rewards that are waiting for you in each of the map’s corners are the four epic skins listed above.

scr2

Please note that these skins do not come with the vehicles themselves. The skins also work with multiple vehicle upgrades where applicable. Finally, completing all missions and claiming all rewards will unlock the top reward, the Iraqi camouflage.

What missions appear in Raid?

There are four categories of missions available:

• PvP missions (which require you to play either Random Battles or Global Operations)
  • PvE missions (which require you to play either standard PvE or Special Operations)
  • General missions (which can be completed in both PvP and PvE)
  • Elite missions (which require you to complete a very difficult objective in order to access major rewards such as the abovementioned skins)

General, PvE and PvP missions have randomized requirements that may include the use of vehicles from specific dealers, or playing specific Tiers. Elite missions are not randomized.

scr3

Can I obtain the rewards only by playing my favorite mode? For example, I do not want to play PvP or PvE.

Yes, with one exception. The Iraqi camouflage will require you to collect all the rewards, which requires either play missions or complete the ones you do not wish to play by using Raider Tokens.

scr4

Is it possible to change missions if I do not like the conditions?

Yes. You may obtain a Reroll Token from a Reward Point. Using it changes the conditions of a single mission. Please note that PvP missions cannot be rerolled into PvE ones and vice versa, the main mode requirement will always remain the same. Elite missions cannot be rerolled. Reroll Tokens can also be purchased for Gold.

scr5

Is it possible to skip missions?

Yes. You may obtain a Raider Token from a Reward Point. Using it will instantly complete the mission you have selected. However, please note that these items are rare and you best save yours for a rainy day. Please also note that completing Elite missions this way will cost you five Raider Tokens. Raider Tokens can also be purchased for Gold.

What are the time limits on this event?

The Raid missions have no timers and, if you wish, the entire event can be completed even on Day 1. The only timer that is present is the one-month deadline that starts at the event’s launch and is therefore the same for everybody. You can see the time left to complete the event in the upper right corner of the Raid window.

List of possible missions restrictions:

• 3-6 AFV/LT/TD/MBT (pick one class)
  • 7-10 AFV/LT/TD/MBT

• Chang MBT (any tiers)
  • Chang non-MBT
  • Francine all
  • Shishkin TD/AFV
  • Shishkin LT
  • Shishkin MBT
  • Wolfi AFV
  • Wolfi MBT
  • Wolfi TD
  • Schreiber all

List of possible normal missions (can accompany any restrictions listed above):

General:

• Earn 20,000 points of net XP. Only the matches in which you are amongst the 3 best XP earners (PvP) or the best XP earner (PvE) of your team count towards this objective.
  • In a single battle, eliminate 3 (Random Battles), 10 (GLOPS) or 20 (PvE) enemy vehicles.

PvE:

• Deal 250,000 damage. Only the matches in which you deal the most damage of all players count towards this objective.\n\nAlternatively deal 40,000 damage in a single match while obtaining the Teamwork medal.
  • Destroy or help destroy 250 enemies. Only the matches with 20+ kills or assists count towards this objective.\n\nAlternatively destroy or help destroy 35 enemies in a single match while obtaining the Teamwork medal.
  • Win 10 matches while achieving 70% performance (the percentage of your shells that hit and do hitpoint damage) in each match and dealing the most damage of all players.\n\nAlternatively deal 30,000 damage while achieving 80% performance in a single match.
  • Collect 10 Destroyer medals.\n\nAlternatively destroy or help destroy 30 enemies in a single match while achieving 80% performance (the percentage of your shells that hit and do hitpoint damage).

PvP

• Deal 50,000 damage. Only the matches in which you are amongst the 3 best damage dealers of your team count towards this objective.\n\nAlternatively survive a match while dealing the most damage of both teams.
  • Destroy or help destroy 50 enemies. Only battles with 3+ (Random Battles) or 10+ (GLOPS) kills or assists count towards this objective.\n\nAlternatively destroy or help destroy 5 (Random Battles) or 15 (GLOPS) enemies in a single match without dying yourself.
  • In 10 matches, be amongst the top three damage dealers of your team.\n\nAlternatively, in a single match, deal 5,000 damage (Random Battles) or 20,000 damage (GLOPS).
  • In 10 matches, destroy or help destroy 3+ (Random Battles) or 10+ (GLOPS) enemies.\n\nAlternatively, in a single match, destroy or help destroy 3+ (Random Battles) or 10+ (GLOPS) enemies while having the highest number of kills/assists from both teams.

List of possible hard missions:

PvE:

• AFV: Deal 350,000 damage. Each death of yours removes 50,000 points from this mission's progress.
  • LT: Deal 350,000 damage. Received damage is multiplied by 3 and then deducted from the mission's progress.
  • MBT: Deal 350,000 damage. Damage dealt from the distance of 150m or more is multiplied by 10 and then deducted from the mission's progress.
  • TD: Deal 350,000 damage. Each hit without damage deducts 10,000 points from the mission's progress.

PvP:

• AFV: Provide allies with spotting info worth 20,000 damage. Each death deducts 2,000 points from the mission's progress.\n\nAlternatively, in a single match, be the player with the most assist damage from both teams while not receiving any damage yourself.
  • LT: Deal 30,000 damage. Each death deducts 6,000 points from the mission's progress.\n\nAlternatively, in a single match, be the top Experience earner of both teams while not being hit more than 2 (Random Battles) or 5 (GLOPS) times.
  • MBT: Deal 50,000 damage. Received damage is multiplied by 2 and then deducted from the mission's progress.\n\nAlternatively, in a single match, deal the most damage from both teams while not losing more than 800 (Random Battles) or 4,000 (GLOPS) hit points.
  • TD: Deal 30,000 damage. Your each hit without damage deducts 2,000 points from the mission's progress.\n\nAlternatively, in a single match, destroy or help destroy the most enemies from both teams (3 at least) while missing no more than 2 (Random Battles) or 5 (GLOPS) shots.

List of freebies (probably non-repeating):

UztaQ6x.png

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

*Just when you think they can't get lazier, they sell you the exact same thing promoting it as new* :xenisafag:

That's too bad... I'd have loved to have gotten some of those skins.  They're very nice.

But this Raid format requires far too much grinding for me to be able to complete it.  It's ridiculous, so I won't even bother.  Perhaps I'll manage to complete 10 contracts before it's over and get the free Tier 5.

• Upvote 1

Major issue to me - these skins are nice, but they cry to be real separate premium vehicles, or be applicable to premium vehicle instances, such as Challenger Wolf. 

I made 3 contract missions today it progressed 7 of 10 required points to unlock raid freely. Looks like weekly mission counts as 5. That is fairly easy to get. 

The design of raid missions suggests playing in full PvE platoons to give a player reasonably painless path to rewards.

Edited by dfnce (see edit history)

23 hours ago, knutliott said:

But this Raid format requires far too much grinding for me to be able to complete it.  It's ridiculous, so I won't even bother.  Perhaps I'll manage to complete 10 contracts before it's over and get the free Tier 5.

Yes, it's weird that the devs spend so much time and effort laboriously crafting these skins, yet make them unobtainable by the masses. I suppose we will see them reappear in contract crates or in the store someday in the future.  At least there is the free Tier5, which could be really useful for newer players who don't have a T4 or T5 yet, especially with the current Hardcore and Specops tier requirements. They would have to use gold to bypass the Homicide missions, because there is no way to kill enemy infantry without a T4.

QR

On 4/15/2021 at 6:03 PM, knutliott said:

That's too bad... I'd have loved to have gotten some of those skins.  They're very nice.

It's not just grind, it is the worst combo of grind + RNG. Do 250k damage in a tier 3-6 LT, okay, fine. But then they also add requirement to be top in damage for a game to count so you have to hope there won't be a XM247, or Marder, or Ramka or some other stupidly overpowered bullshit tank on your team. And there usually is one of those so why bother?

Devs don't play their own game.

I've said the same thing before last raid and got flamed by SS so it shows how much they don't give a shit.

Edited by Schlock (see edit history)

On 4/16/2021 at 2:59 PM, Schlock said:

It's not just grind, it is the worst combo of grind + RNG. Do 250k damage in a tier 3-6 LT, okay, fine. But then they also add requirement to be top in damage for a game to count so you have to hope there won't be a XM247, or Marder, or Ramka or some other stupidly overpowered bullshit tank on your team. And there usually is one of those so why bother?

Not to mention that when you say that you need x amount of damage and be the top one of your team, it promotes players to go out and be stupid at the expense of the rest of the team.

"If you were not birthed with claws or fangs, store bought will do just fine."

6 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

Not to mention that when you say that you need x amount of damage and be the top one of your team, it promotes players to go out and be stupid at the expense of the rest of the team.

Precisely. Kill mission in particular force you to play like an asshole, especially "get Destroyer medal" ones.

Edited by Schlock (see edit history)